Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Update




















As everyone has noticed, we have our Gentoos back. A few at first, then a few more, then a storm where everyone stayed out to sea, then the return with lots more fellow Gentoos. Each day we see more and more of our rookery return. What's made it even nicer is that either Dr. Grund's group or the Chileans have been leaving the light on for us for a few hours every night. We can watch the Gentoos interact in the evening, which is a rare thing to see. So, thanks to whoever is leaving the lights on. It's very nice of you. :P

I would like to begin posting some of the pictures I've captured during the day that are just too good not to share. I'm thinking of uploading them to my Flickr account, and if I do so, then at the end of each viewing day, I would have them online in a flash (ah! a pun!). Let me know what you think...

For now, I think our biggest concern is having the rest of the cams up and going. We have two good ones, but the close-up cams have not been installed yet. I have no idea if we will have them or not, so let's hope that when enough snow melts, the cams will go up and online. The hatching of the chicks has to be the highlight of the season.

The South Georgia Cams are surprisingly good this time. We've got some folks paying close attention to the seal pups, as well as the size of the elephant seal harems. I caught one of the pups nursing its mother during the snow storm two days ago. And a few of the images are very detailed.

Otherwise, that's it for the news of the Gentoos at this time. I offer my many thanks to those people who make all of this possible. Without your kindness and generous spirit, many people would not have the privilege of watching a live cam in a penguin rookery.

No comments: