Saturday, October 4, 2008

Image of the Day



This pic is from November of 2007, when the snow had melted and all the pairs of birds became serious about making the egg. This shot is about as near to Gentoo courtship as I have ever seen and my thanks goes to Ed over at Natures Cams Commentator for capturing this moment.

If you'll notice today, how the water around the base has suddenly become thawed and the snow is beginning to do the same. It's an exciting time to be here. At the beginning of the season, I would like to thank our benefactor with the cams for without him, there would be nothing like this anywhere. Dr. Martin Grund--you have our thanks beyond measure. I wish that the world could appreciate your kindness and generosity. We all do here, as you can see by the number of hits this site has maintained since its conception last summer.

Dr. Grund also made a notation that a small group of Gentoos appeared here on September 17th. I missed that somehow, but I hope some of you did not. If you should have any shots from that day, please send them to me at wiinterrr@gmail.com with your name and I will post them. This site is not about me--it's about all of you and how we can share what we see and learn from these exciting birds. Remember that they are our teachers and as willing students, we all benefit from shared knowledge. Please feel free to comment, to discuss, and to interpret.

Ahay!
wiinterrr :)

No comments: