Monday, November 5, 2007

NEW! Cams are up and running


Last year....

I was sitting at home with a worn out computer, sick, unable to do much more than not move. I stumbled across this website and then I went back and again and again, until I was hooked.

I watched the Gentoo rookery until it was an obsession--this year is no different. However, the close-up shots will not occur unless we can find some sort of funding to pay for cables and equipment that was destroyed this past spring during one of Antarctica's violent storms.

My German heroes, bless them, have added the cams where they can, just so that we are able to see penguins. These guys work very hard at what they do and in what little spare time they have, they have managed to get these few extra cams going. Now that is true international diplomacy--selflessness at its best.

So, here's what I'm going to do and if you wish to help, then come on. I am going to petition Senator Al Gore for help, but it will not stop there. I will also contact various universities and their biology/ecology departments.
Grants are given away on a daily basis for such things as penguin research. Think of who you can contact, as well.

Penguins are our environment's barometers. If you care about the future of this planet, you will save the penguins. I need no encouragement to do so, as I have developed a love and respect for these animals beyond all my expectations--and I once was a herpetologist. My, how life changes. :) If you believe that these birds are a necessary element to our planet--if you believe that global warming will imminently cause harm to ourselves, not to mention thousands of other species with which we share this planet--if you want to see and study these birds for your own personal knowledge, then get busy. Talk to people, call those who can make a difference, and get the word out. Let's show the world that penguin research is vastly important.

But first, let's thank these guys at the station for the time they have taken in setting up these cams for us and count our blessings that their generosity makes our viewing of that frozen expanse possible. Danke! Danke! Danke! Here's a huge earth hug from your grateful viewers .................................................................................................................................................

Now, it's off to school. And a happy birthday to me. I got penguins for a present--loads of them!!!!! :)

Wiinterrr

Lin

No comments: