Saturday, October 1, 2011

They're BAAAAACK! (and this time, we have a chatroom!)







Last week, the sea surrounding Gars O'Higgins Station was solid ice, but within a few days, melting resulted in an icy slurry with bergy bits. Then came the Gentoos, ready to begin this season's rookery in earnest. As you can see, they didn't waste any time getting down to business.

This year marks my fifth year keeping up this blog and so I felt it was time for a change. I needed to be more involved, rather than simply watching and keeping my comments to myself. After the hurricane two seasons ago and last season's missing in action on my part, I was and am ready for a great spring on the Peninsula. And I want to see more interaction from our viewers. Please, post your comments and remarks, but more importantly, I welcome everyone to join in the new CHATROOM! That's right. Everyone can share their comments and predictions re: the Gentoos.

If you've been following this blog for years, then by all means, share with us your keen powers of observation and your penguin knowledge. I'll be around and about to make sure all stays friendly on the blog. Just keep it clean (kids come here, so keep that in mind), be polite, and participate. That's it.

Lastly, for this post, I want to thank so very much, the guys manning the cams at Gars O'Higgins. They've been terribly nice to us all this time, and they even set up a cam on a nest so we can see, up close and personal, the real biology of the Gentoos. So here's to them, for being there, for taking good care of the cams, and for considering us, their audience, in maintaining those cams. We love you guys... huzzah!!

More later... stay tuned!!! Ahay from wiinterrr. :-)




No comments: