Sunday, April 20, 2008

Where have I been????

What's a penguin to do when that penguin is snowed under with penguin duties. Sadly, here at the rookery, there is too much to do. But I will make up for it... at least I'll try. I've got some awesome images, so let's go...

First, South Georgia and the first huge snowfall of the season. Second, same for the peninsula of Antarctica. The temps held at around 32F today with winds a blowing at 30 knots. Hardly a penguin was seen and for a while I thought everyone just wasn't coming back, but about a third of them did before darkness fell. Of course, we all know that these storms will only become stronger and last longer. Winter approaches for the great land down under.

During the week, which was mostly cloudy, there were the faithful few pengies who managed to still be enduring a molt. One day, there was only one lone Gentoo lined up against the wall. But how suddenly his/her sad demeanor brightened to see one of his own dashing towards the lonely one. The molting crew waxed and waned, but for the most part, everyone was back from feeding by middle of the afternoon. Darkness comes earlier every day and soon, too soon, all will be gone towards slightly warmer climes.

I leave you with these pictures and as everyone knows, there are more to come. Until next weekend... keep those flippers up.

Ahay from Antarctica,
wiinterrr






























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.